Thursday, March 21, 2013

Inspiration...I'm Starting a Blog

Inspiration. 

I have been debating for a long time whether or not I should start a blog. As a full time husband, father, coach, and teacher there is little time in my already busy schedule for extra activities. For the past two years that I have been on Twitter, I have enjoyed sharing with my peers from around the world.   One drawback to Twitter is that I felt I always had more to say than what 140 characters limits you too. So I am starting a Blog. My Twitter PLN has inspired me. I read and follow so many of you that I want to give back to the educational community. I feel I have so much more to offer the world by sharing my experiences as a teacher both good and bad. So Raiders of the Lost History Class was born. 
Why Raiders? It goes back to Inspiration. While brainstorming for my Blog's name I was reminded what inspired me into loving the subject that I teach....History. As a kid growing up in the 1980's I loved watching the Indiana Jones movies. I was hooked by the action packed adventures of Dr. Jones. I was enthralled by his exotic travels. Whether it was seeking the Lost Ark in Egypt, finding "Fortune and Glory" in India, or seeking the Holy Grail across Europe and the Middle East being able to visit these places was something a farm kid in Nebraska could only dream of doing.  

I may have not been able to become a world traveler like Indy, but I do try and take my students to new exciting places. Using technology like Google Earth and incorporating stories I try and take my students to new places everyday wherever our topic leads.

So like Indiana Jones, I hope that in this Blog I can share my sense of adventure and curiosity I try to live by everyday. A place where I can share lessons, activities, technology I use to help inspire my students. I hope that I can inspire someone else to take a risk and try something new with their students. I hope that others continue to inspire me to keep trying new things and exploring new adventures with my students.  For anybody who ends up of reading my Blog and following me on Twitter, I hope you are ready to take this adventure with me. As Short Round would say "Hold on Lady, we going for a ride."

No comments:

Post a Comment